PPSSPP PC System Requirements
So, PPSSPP crash on you, the first thing you should ask yourself is “Is my PC good enough for PPSSPP?”
Their site is not very specific in terms of what exact minimal hardware you need to run this emulator, so I’ve been reading around their forums and i found a couple of interesting posts by the admin in which he explain what does PPSSPP really need to run, i’m gonna help you figure if you can run it or if you should throw your PC out of the window.
Software Requirements (Very Important):
Download and install these:
1. Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)
2. DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer
3. Latest Graphic Drivers:
Minimum Hardware Requirements:
- CPU (Proccessor): a Dual core CPU x2 at 2.0Ghz.
- GPU (Graphic card): your GPU must support at least OpenGL 2.0
- RAM (Memory): 2 GB Ram
What do we actually have?
Now that we know what we need, we need to find out what we have:
CPU & Memory:
Go to Start -> Right Click Computer and go to Properties (fig 1), there you will see your CPU model and frequency and your total memory:
- 2 CPU @ 3.30Ghz each (minimum is 2.0Ghz)
- 8 GB of RAM (minimum is 2GB)
GPU (Graphic card):
There are many aspects that make a good graphic card, but we will focus on 1 that will basically tell us the age of your card, the lower this number is the older your Graphic card is (Old = Bad). We will use a program to tell us this value, download Doctor GL extract it and open it (Fig 2):
- OpenGL version 4.2.1 (Minimun 2.0)
The most important aspect of all for PPSSPP is te Graphic card as a rule have in mind that:
- OpenGL less than 2.0: The emulator will not work
- OpenGL 2.0: The emulator will work but very slow, probably unusable.
- OpenGL 2.1: The emulator will work probably at a playable speed.
- OpenGL more than 2.1: The emulator will work much better, 4.4 being the best possible.
That’s all about it, i hope it helps clarify where your computer stand and if you need to upgrade it or not, if you are going to upgrade remember that:
- Desktop generally are much powerful than laptops (unless you buy a 5 thousand dollars laptop)
- You must buy a dedicated graphic card. (Integrated graphic cards are useless for gaming…APU’s do a bit better but still worse than a dedicated card)